Workplace Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities Statistics

No matter how careful an employee is to avoid injury on the job, accidents happen. Whether you work in a factory, on a construction site, or in a hospital, chances are you’ll experience an injury or illness at least once in your career.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 2.9 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses reported by private sector companies in 2015. 95 percent of these cases were injuries, with the remaining 5 percent accounting for illnesses. On top of this, 4,836 workers died from a job-related injury that year, which is the highest annual figure since 2008.

In California, the state rate for injuries and illnesses was 3.3 cases per 100 full-time workers in 2015, which is greater than the national rate. Here’s a closer look at the most common non-fatal injuries and illnesses by industry in the U.S.

Workplace injury statistics

Share this Image On Your Site

Manufacturing Injuries

Employees in the manufacturing industry frequently suffer workplace accidents due to dangerous work environments and employers who neglect to enforce safety regulations. The most common injuries and illnesses in the manufacturing industry include:

  • Musculoskeletal disorders
  • Repetitive motion injuries
  • Crushed limb resulting in amputation
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Respiratory conditions and poisoning

Transportation Injuries

While the transportation industry reported a decline in the number of injuries and illnesses in 2015, it remains one of the most dangerous occupations. The most common non-fatal injuries in the transportation industry include:

  • Overexertion injuries
  • Back, knee, and shoulder sprains
  • Crushed limb
  • Neck injuries (whiplash)

Construction Injuries

Slips and falls, fires, explosion, and scaffolding collapses put construction workers at risk for many different injuries on the job. The most common injuries and illnesses in construction jobs are:

  • Electrical shock and burns
  • Getting caught between objects or machinery
  • Repetitive motion injuries
  • Knee, shoulder, and back injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries

Healthcare Injuries

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it is more hazardous to work in healthcare than in construction or manufacturing in terms of “days away from work” injury rates. The most common injuries on the job in hospitals, emergency rooms, and other medical facilities include:

  • Sprains and strains
  • Back injuries
  • Infections due to needle sticks and airborne pathogens
  • Bone breaks and fractures
  • Head injuries

Fatal Workplace Injury Statistics

  • Roadway incident fatalities increased to 26 percent of all fatal occupational injuries in 2015.
  • Of the 253 non-roadway fatalities in 2015, the most frequent vehicle involved was a farm tractor.
  • Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers recorded 745 fatal injuries in 2015, the most of any occupation.
  • There were 937 fatal work injuries in the construction industry in 2015, the highest total since 2008.
  • Fatal falls to a lower level accounted for nearly 40 percent of fatal workplace injuries in construction in 2015.
  • Second only to manufacturing, accidents in the construction industry accounted for nearly 20 percent of all work-related deaths in 2015.

Have you become injured or ill due to a workplace accident in San Diego?

While no amount of money can erase the permanent damage caused by a workplace accident – or make up for the loss of a loved one – the benefits provided by workers’ compensation can ease the financial burden. Workers injured on the job are eligible for medical reimbursement as well as disability benefits to cover missed wages. The families of workers killed on the job are entitled to death benefits, which cover funeral expenses as well as payment to any dependents that relied on the worker for financial support.

At the Law Office of Gerald D. Brody & Associates, we help workers navigate the workers’ compensation system and get the benefits they deserve every single day. To find out what we can do for you, contact us to schedule a free consultation. There’s absolutely no obligation to pursue legal representation. Call us now at (619) 528-9800.